1943-1946

500 Moctezuma was a USO

Our main building at 500 Moctezuma, built by the famed H.B. Zachry Corporation, opened in 1943 and was used as a government USO during World War II.

1946

Boys Club of Laredo Moves into 500 Moctezuma

A group of community-minded Laredoans chartered the Boys Club of Laredo in 1946 and moved into the main building.

1968

Boys Club of Laredo Opens Northwest Club

1984

Boys Club of Laredo becomes Boys & Girls Clubs of Laredo

1994

Boys & Girls Clubs of Laredo opens Lamar Bruni Vergara Club

1998

Benavides Club has a remodel

2019

Benavides Club has a Mens/Boys Restroom Renovation

History

The Boys & Girls Clubs of Laredo have been, for more than half a century, an organization synonymous with service to youth, and have a long record of shaping youth today in preparation for leadership tomorrow.

Since it’s dedication on July 4, 1946, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Laredo have been the helping hand that has made the difference in the lives of thousands of young people.

There are three clubs in Laredo: the Roberto and Beatriz Benavides Club, the Lamar Bruni Vergara Club, and the Northwest Club. Each of these complexes contains its separate ares of a game room, arts and crafts area, tutoring, kitchen, and outdoor area. Our Clubs have their own swimming pools and libraries.

Boys & Girls Clubs are primarily designed to give members, ages 6 through 12, responsible adult guidance, filling needs that frequently are not adequately met at home, in school or elsewhere in the community. Besides our regular membership of 10,000, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Laredo reach another 20,000 boys and girls through our Special Leagues of Basketball, Flag Football, Volleyball, and Track meets.

Boys & Girls Clubs of Laredo are unique, being the only organization dedicated to promoting the health, social, educational, and character development of youth on a daily basis.

Mission

The Boys & Girls Club's mission is to inspire and enable all young people, especially those from disadvantaged circumstances, to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens.

Vision

The Boys & Girls Club of Laredo hopes to provide a safe place for children to learn and grow, to provide ongoing relationships with caring adult professionals and life-enhancing programs and character development experiences, as well as, hope and opportunity for the children in our community.

Executive Officers

Board Of Directors

Cristy B. Alexander

Cristy B. Alexander

Dr. Vanessa Carpenter

Dr. Vanessa Carpenter

Juan J. Castillo

Juan J. Castillo

Russell Cerda

Russell Cerda

Esther Kurzyn Firova

Esther Kurzyn Firova

Hector

Hector "Tito" Garcia

Eleuterio Garza

Eleuterio Garza

Lizabeth Guevara

Lizabeth Guevara

Roger Gubser

Roger Gubser

Jim Kelly

Jim Kelly

Constable Rodolfo Rodriguez, Jr.

Constable Rodolfo Rodriguez, Jr.

Marisa Santos

Marisa Santos

Jake Spuriell

Jake Spuriell

Federico Treviño

Federico Treviño

Guillermo Treviño

Guillermo Treviño

Bob Weathers

Bob Weathers

Lifetime Directors

Dr. Rex Ball

C.Y. Benavides, III

Manuel B. Bravo, Jr.

Conrado Cruz, Jr.

Joe F. Flores

Susan Foster

Dr. Reynaldo Godines

Eliza V. Gonzalez

Jorge Gonzalez

Ruben R. Gonzalez

Tommy Guajardo

Candy Hein

Jerome Jordan

George P. Kazen

Dennis Longoria

Javier Lozano

Alberto H. Magnon, Jr.

Dr. Carlos H. Mata

James A. Notzon

Marcel C. Notzon III

Alfonso H. Ornelas, Jr.

Salo Otero

Robert H. Summers

Anthony Treviño, Jr.

Richard R. Valls, Jr.

J. Jorge Verduzco

Dr. Rosa Maria Vida

Sabas Zapata III

Advisory Board

Isidro R. Alaniz, District Attorney

Dr. Pablo Arenaz

Alfonso Cuellar, Jr.

Judge Rosie Cuellar

Sheriff Martin Cuellar

Gary Jacobs

John Keck

Douglas MacDonald

J.C. Martin III

Dennis E. Nixon

Superintendent Dr. Sylvia G. Rios

Mayor Pete Saenz

Supt. Roberto J. Santos

Dr. Ricardo Solis

Bishop James Tamayo

Judge Tano E. Tijerina

Carlos Zaffirini, Jr.

Staff